Monday, February 14, 2005

Musical baton relay

1. Total amount of music files on your computer?

Couldn't say, I don't have my own one, I just pilfer the use of my boyfriends (somehow stealing things off near and dear menfolk has avoided me making pretty much any big purchases) - he's got a normal size collection I suppose, about 20 - 30 albums and several dozen miscellaneous songs. I think I have downloaded about 10 of them.

2. The last CD you bought was...

A long time ago! Bought a bunch of black market cd's in Vietnam, so I'll just pick one of them:
Songs for the Deaf, Queens of the Stone Age

3. What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?

Sister Awake, The Tea Party
My best friend back in Australia is a middle eastern dance teacher and I'd been abusing her talent and generosity for a good few years in getting free lessons. Sister Awake was a piece she was choeographing with us before I left. Listening to this song reminds me of that. And trying to do hip circles and veil twirls in alternate directions at the same time.

4. Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.

i.No-One knows my plan by They Might be Giants

I love this band - I've been a dedicated fan for over 10 years. I flew from one end of Australia to another to see them in concert. This is only one of my favourites, its the ambassador song for all of them ;)

ii. Golden Brown - The Stranglers

Always puts a smile on my face

iii. Bach - Brandenberg Concerto

I'm a classical fan, but not to the point of obsession. The levels of complexity and imagination created by certain composers never ceases to amaze me.

iv. Karma Police - Radiohead
Listened to the OK Computer album A LOT when I was travelling, never got sick of it.

v. Saint Vincent - Tetes Raides
A Paris band that my boyfriend introduced me to, I really like them, and it's one of those 'relationship songs' (not that its soppy or romantic, it's just part of our soundtrack)

Can't we pick 10? I've hardly even started! ;p

5. What 3 people are you going to pass this baton to and why?

'VerseGuru'
- an online contact since about 2001 and who I had the happy occasion to finally meet when I was in the south of France. I also want to know how much music he has stored on his computer, I think it will be a scary amount ;)

'Wandering lizard' Because he's far too busy for this sort of thing, but we annoyed frogs together for a year back in Darwin and I'm not sure that we ever discussed music that much. I'm wondering if his time in Israel got him interested in anything new and different

'Rakka' - a flickr friend, cos she'll have fun with it :)

6 comments:

r4kk4 said...

pssst----i'm finished and i've passed it on. thanks, nyx!

r4kk4 said...

and like the half asleep perso i am, i forgot to include the link in my last post. so, uh...

http://glitterpissing.blogspot.com/2005/02/tag-im-it.html#comments

Anonymous said...

I love Mariah, *swoon*. Okay not really, Whitney's fine though.

Although I like every opportunity to tell everyone how big my [music collection] is and flaunt my superior taste, which has indeed been previously disected, I shan't on this occasion, I'm afraid, be picking up this baton... There's three existing places where my musical taste is documented quite comprehensively (if not completely): my own database, Last.fm (great place, check it out if you like net radio), and MusicMobs, amongst others...

wandering lizard said...

Okay, I won't drop the baton, but I'll fumble a bit, by just posting my answers here.

1. Total amount of music files on your computer?
Hard to tell - they are in a couple of different places. Looks like about 900 songs in one place, and about 30 albums in the other. Got to store the whole lot on the computer 'cause of all the moving around I've been doing lately.

2. The last CD you bought was...
Willy Porter - High Wire Live. His live stuff is much better than the studio, and the best is hearing him solo acoustic in concert. He's a truly gifted musician.

3. What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?
La tierra del olvido. Carlos Vives. Part of the South American influence on my tastes while I was in Israel. He's quite popular among the latinos there, especially the Colombians (his home country). Apparently he's one of the 'hot latino singers' but I haven't actually seen him - something to do with second generation CDs...

4. Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
In no particular order...
a. Walt Whitman's Neice - Billy Bragg and Wilco. It reminds me of a former girlfriend during the good times. Still brings a smile to my face.

b. Jesus on the Grille - Willy Porter. Just plain funny, and some good guitar playing too.

c. Diminuendo in blue and crescendo in blue - Duke Ellington. Talk about a beat that will drive you to a frenzy. Paul Gonzalves' solo is legendary.

d. Matilde Lina - Carlos Vives. Catchy Colombian tune.

e. a piece just called 'Adagio' by Albinoni, performed by the Canadian Brass and the Berlin Philharmonic Brass. Okay, so in a past life I played brass instruments and have been a fan of brass ensembles for a long time. This particular piece is emotionally charged, and always makes me think about how lucky I am to have avoided the tragedies it invokes.


5. What 3 people are you going to pass this baton to and why?

here's where I drop the baton...

wandering lizard said...

By the way. It's good to see that someone else out there appreciates the Stranglers...

N. said...

bunch of baton droppers, mutter mutter ;)
No.Whitney.Is.Not Fine.