Friday, June 15, 2007

Northern Territory birdlife

I lived in Northern Australia for about 12 years in total, and spent a lot of that time out in the bush, surrounded by amazing colours, diverse nature and raw beauty. I was always interested in photography, and have had a camera kicking around for as long as I can remember but like a lot of people the cost of film could be a bit offputting when you were still working it all out.
I had so much fun cramming in 13 lost years into a one month holiday, but at the same time I quite regretted that I hadn't go into photography earlier. It was amazing to see how much easier it is to photograph wild birds in Australia as compared with Europe. All of these shots used nothing more powerful than a 200mm lens and a bit of cropping.



Striated pardalote - open eucalypt woodland, Litchfield National Park



Egret at Yellow waters wetland. Kakadu National Park



White bellied sea eagle along the coastal mangroves




Sulphur crested cockatoo in a flowering woollybutt tree



Whiskered tern
Lame joke from the boat guide:
Why do you always see terns in pairs?
Because one good tern deserves another (groan)

No comments: